Code sprint report: June 4, 2011 — mobile UI, venue address exports, venue details, better Plancast import and more!
June 7, 2011
We had a productive code sprint as part of the PDX11 Hackathon.
Roy Martin, Daniel Hedlund, Bart Massey, Selena Deckelmann, Leif Warner, William Van Hevelingen, Kirsten Comandich, Dunbar Aitkens, Mary Anne Thygesen, Reid Beels, Audrey Eschright and Igal Koshevoy.
- Added mobile interface to improve user experience on devices with small screens. The new interface puts the most useful information at the top and makes better use of screen real estate, reflows text for graceful zooming, and hides infrequently-used features behind click-to-expand controls.
- Improved iCalendar exports and feed to include the venue’s address and Calagator source URL.
- Updated to Hpricot 0.8.4 library, which should eliminate or reduce segmentation faults, primarily encountered in tests.
- Fixed missing “bundle exec” references in documentation and webadmin service.
- Improved documentation to explain the search engine service ports used, which need to be firewalled.
- Fixed “Cinderella event” handling, so events ending at midnight aren’t shown as part of the next day’s listing.
- Added per-event venue details field, for describing the room used and other event-specific information.
- Improved Plancast importer to add machine tags to the event, so that their RSVPs and links are immediately available.
- Confirmed that all index and show actions can emit XML and JSON for those consuming our data.
- Fixed test suite to eliminate non-deterministic behavior caused by state leaking between tests.
- Fixed tests so they don’t access the network and fail.
- Refactored views that display subnav menus by extracting common logic into helpers.
- Removed custom geocoder keys in hopes of simplifying setup — only to have to revert these changes because the keys are still needed for displaying maps on anything other than “localhost”.
- Updated “Code” link in header to point to github.
- Removed unwanted files that were accidentally checked in.
- Added a custom iCalendar “prodid” value. Unfortunately, the patch to populate this with Unicode 6.0 glyphs of a crocodile, a calendar, and a happy-snowman-wearing-a-fez were rejected. This decision may need to be reconsidered in the future.
Closed completed issues
- Issue 434: Review and merge rical_remodel branch.
- Issue 443: Recent changes feed should link to both the change log entry and actual entry.
- Issue 357: Deleting sources should delete their associated events and children.
- Issue 424: Refresh version shouldn’t throw an exception.
- Issue 423: Calagator should be able to export events to Google Calendar.
- Issue 306: Submit patches to acts_as_versioned.
- Issue 316: Consider adding version number to iCalendar export.
- Issue 196: Fix acts_as_solr, make it log to a file.
- Issue 401: JSON should be supported by all controller actions.
- Issue 436: Solr’s admin port should not be publicly accessible.
- Issue 447: Import Plancast events.
- Issue 191: Submit patche to acts-as_solr that make it work.
- Issue 397: Timezone in settings should be used.
- Issue 24: Include venue information in iCalendar exports.
- Issue 339: User should be able to create a new event from an old one.
Added and updated issues
- Added Issue 450: Write guide with per-platform installation instructions.
- Added Issue 451: Add per-item duplicate squasher.
- Added Issue 452: Add fuzzy venue search.
- Added Issue 453: Improve the import system.
- Added Issue 454: Migrate to Ruby on Rails 3.
Thank you for your contributions and support!